Do you have a shower head that leaves you less than satisfied at the end of your shower? Perhaps a small little nozzle that shoots about 3 or 4 little streams of water that hit one part of your body, leaving the rest of your body untouched and cold?
…One that should have about 50 mini-sprays, but less than half of them actually spray out any water because they’re covered up with “gunk” and calcium?
…Or, a shower head that should provide a wide amount of coverage but just trickles out with almost no pressure?
If you said yes to any of those, or anything like it, it’s time you scrap that old shower head for one that provides you the luxurious, relaxing, spa-like shower you deserve!
Today’s best rain shower heads on the market will do just that. You can have feelings of rejuvenation and relaxation while standing under generous streams of water that cover your entire body, falling down gently from above like drops of rain.
Sound to good to be true? …It’s not, with the best rain shower heads you can choose from today.
The Best Rain Shower Heads Available
We’ve compared the best rain shower heads available on the market and chosen the best for three categories – Budget, Mid-Range, & Luxury – based on price, quality, features, and customer ratings & reviews.
Best Budget Rain Shower Head
Vida Alegria Rainforest
With many great customer reviews, and a 4.2 out of 5 buyer satisfaction rating, this model will provide exceptional value for the low price.
Make sure the plumbing fitting in the shower wall is well-supported, as the weight of this shower head, leveraged out over you will create a fair amount of pull down on it. Also note, the long 18 inch reach shower arm is sold separately, which you will want to get that rain shower head out in the middle of the shower so you can stand directly under it.
Mid-Range Rain Shower Heads
Delta Single-Spray Touch-Clean Rain Shower Head
Replacing the shower head in your shower with one like this model from Delta is an easy way to get an amazing upgrade to your shower. The 8″ square head delivers 2.5 gallons per minute of soft, drenching rainfall of water. Its innovative Touch-Clean surface makes it super easy to clean off mineral deposit build-up, simply by rubbing your hand across the rubber spray nozzles. Its stainless steel brushed finish will add a touch of modern to any bathroom.
Artbath Black Shower System
Black is a color popular today for the clean, modern look it lends to any room. This black shower head and wand combination unit from Artbath hits all the right notes if that contemporary style is what you’re going for. With the thinly designed 12-inch rainfall showerhead with its touch-clean spray nozzles, the modern shower valve trim handles with simple, clean, square lines, and the handheld wand that perfectly matches & compliments the shower head, this model may be the right fit for your modern bathroom renovation.
Moen 8-Inch Eco-Performance Rain Shower Head
With roughly a 4.1 out of 5 customer rating, this shower head from Moen – a brand respected for quality and one of the most commonly used brands in bathroom fixtures – is well-received by many buyers. It has an 8 inch round head that delivers a rainfall of water at 2 gallons per minute…so if you’re eco-conscious, it’s a great water-saving choice. But if you want maximum flow and luxurious rainfall showers of water, this probably won’t deliver the volume you want or meet your expectations.
There are three finish choices available: oil-rubbed bronze and chrome, or brushed nickel.
Hansgrohe Raindance 180 Air Shower Head – Brushed Nickel
The Hansgrohe Raindance 180 has AIR-power to create a soft cascade of air-infused water droplets. Constructed of solid brass, it is durable and made to last. With a 5 out of 5 customer satisfaction rating, if it fits in your budget, you won’t go wrong with this choice.
Hansgrohe Raindance E 240 Air Shower Head
If the best quality is what you want, Hansgrohe is the brand of choice for you. They’ve been around for over 100 years and they’re known for high quality, with this showerhead being constructed of solid brass and having a large 10-inch wide face. It delivers 2.5 gallons per minute through its 141 no-clog spray channels, and the air-infused water droplets created from the RainAir spray technology will ensure a truly relaxing rain-like shower. With its QuickClean feature, you can easily and quickly rub away limescale deposits from the flexible silicone jet holes.
One really nice thing about having a wide rectangular rainfall shower head like this one is that it fits the shape of the human body perfectly, delivering a rainfall of water evenly across the width of your shoulders, not leaving any part of you “out in the cold.”
Luxury Rain Shower Heads
Kohler K-13692 8-Inch Traditional Rain Showerhead
Where many of the models you find today fit the modern style, this model appeals to those who want a more traditional look. The round shower head is 8 inches wide and delivers 2.5 gallons per minute. It is a ceiling mount model, made to be extended down from the ceiling…so be sure plumbing is ready for it in the ceiling, whether it’s you doing that work or having a plumber get it ready for you.
This model is also available in Brushed Bronze, Oil-Rubbed Bronze, Polished Chrome, Polished Nickel, Brushed Nickel, and Vibrant Gold.
Kohler K-13690 12-Inch Contemporary Rain Showerhead
Available in Brushed Bronze, Brushed Nickel, Polished Nickel, Polished Chrome, and even Vibrant Gold, you’re sure to have one that will fit your bathroom finish of choice. It delivers water at a generous 2.5 gallon per minute flow rate. The MasterClean sprayface with translucent shower nozzles resists mineral buildup. Katalyst Spray Technology provides a luxurious and drenching rainfall experience.
This model is made to be a ceiling-mounted shower head, so make sure you have plumbing correctly installed in the ceiling to be ready for this shower head.
Atlantis Oil-Rubbed Bronze Rain Shower System
Here’s another shower head with the old-world traditional look, with it’s oil-rubbed bronze finish, and the styling of the shower heads and bars. This one is a whole unit, including a 10″ stainless steel rain head on a high rise shower extension arm, and a handheld shower wand with hose and adjustable slide bar to mount it to, and the actual shower valve/lever as well. It has a 3.8 out 5 customer rating, is made of durable solid brass, and made to last.
Hansgrohe Puravida 400 Showerhead (Ceiling Mount)
This ceiling-mounted rainfall shower head will provide a large area of coverage with its 15-inch by 10-inch spray face. Included with it is a 4-inch ceiling mount shower arm. Hansgrohe’s AIR-Injection technology infuses each droplet of water with air, to make the showers of water feel truly like rain, soft & relaxing.
Made of solid brass, it’s well-built and made to last.
Hansgrohe Raindance E 420 Showerhead
This wall-mounted shower head from Hansgrohe is absolutely incredible. Its extra wide 17-inch by 8 1/2-inch spray face will ensure complete body coverage under the streaming water from the rainfall shower head. A unique feature of this model is that it has 2 modes: “Rain AIR” and “Rainflow Waterfall”
What Is A Rainfall Shower Head?
A rainfall shower head (also known as rainshower head, or rain shower head) is a shower head that is larger in size than the average shower head, allowing for more spray holes that provide a wider area of coverage on your body when showering. Also, they typically emit a more gentle flow of water than traditional shower heads, mimicking the feel of rain falling softly from the sky.
Some higher-end models have a pulse mechanism or air-injection system that cause the water spray to form into droplets, more closely resembling actual rain. And even higher-end models offer features including pulsating massage jets, LED lights, and high-flow or water-saving modes.
The majority of rain shower head models are designed to replace your existing shower head protruding from the wall of your shower (most common). These require little DIY experience, needing only to unscrew the existing shower head, apply some new teflon thread tape, and then screw on the new rainfall shower hear. Some rain shower heads are ceiling-mounted designs that aim straight down, providing a more realistic rain experience…These connect to plumbing coming down from the ceiling, which isn’t very common, and would require a plumber or mid/high level of DIY experience to complete.
As far as design goes, you’ll find a wide variety of shapes (circular, square, etc), sizes, sleek vs. rustic, and available in all of your typical finishes like chrome, oil-rubbed bronze, and stainless steel.
Here, in the video below, is just one example of the many types of rain shower heads you can purchase today.
The rainshower head shown in the video above, the Moen S6345 Square Velocity, can be found here on Amazon.
The Benefits Of Rain Shower Heads
- Helps you enjoy a soothing & relaxing shower – A luxurious shower experience can rejuvenate you and set a great tone for the rest of your day. You don’t have to shower under a harsh stream of water coming from just a few jets, or barely get covered by the water coming out of the head. With a rain shower head, you can have a spa-like experience at home every day.
- Adds style and sophistication to your shower – This one’s simple…they look great, adding a modern, sleek touch to your bathroom. And if it’s in a bathroom guests use, they’ll be quite impressed.
- Provides more coverage – don’t you hate the feeling of warmth from the shower on one side of your body but cold on the side not under the small stream of water coming out of the shower head? With the right rain shower head, your whole body can be drenched in a hot, relaxing flow of water.
- More advanced models give additional shower options – If you want the best of the best, you can have features that provide even more realistic rain-like experiences. Air-injection and pulse features provide massage-like streams of water. Some have various modes that allow you to choose either high-flows of water for a downpour of water, or low-flows if you want to save water. Some even offer fancy bells & whistles like LED lighting.
Which Rain Shower Head Is Best For Me?
In short, it’s impossible to say which is “best” for your specific situation, since there are so many variables to keep in mind. But, here are some points to consider that will help you make the decision of which one is best for you:
- Size – This is one of those cases in life where size truly does matter! Bigger is better, giving you more body coverage. The better heads are 8-10″ in diameter and larger.
- Wall or ceiling mount – Will you be retrofitting your existing shower head protruding from the wall, or installing a rain shower head coming straight down from the ceiling above? In our reviews, we’ve listed which option each model allows for.
- Spray features – They range from simple rain shower heads with one spray and flow rate, to more advanced models that give you the option to change to other settings like massage, water-saver, drenching, or mist sprays
- Style & finish – You will likely want to match the finish of existing fixtures & hardware in your bathroom. Whether they’re chrome, brass, brushed nickel, stainless steel, or oil-rubbed bronze, there is a rain shower head to match!
- Quality – Last but certainly not least, pay attention to the quality of the product. Price isn’t everything, but you usually get what you pay for…so don’t be surprised if the cheaper rain shower heads don’t provide an amazing experience. It’s highly recommended that you scan through the customer reviews on Amazon to see the experience other buyers have had with the models you’re considering. Make this a one-time purchase that you’re pleased with!
Other Reviews You May Be Interested In
We have also reviewed the top models of other popular custom shower products & accessories, similar to the best rainshower heads. Click below to check out other reviews here at Tile Shower DIY.
- Choosing The Best Shower Panel System To Create A Spa-Like Shower
- The Best Ceiling Mounted Rain Shower Heads
- Your Guide To The Best Combination Rain Shower Heads & Handheld Wands
- Your Guide To The Best Luxury Shower Heads